Sunday, November 13, 2011

The schools we have. The schools we need.

In the Allington article there was a specific point that stuck out to me. The article suggested that schools should have longer blocks that can focus on one certain subject rather than short blocks that causes the teacher to skip around and not focus as much on the fundamentals of the lesson. I completely agree with this idea. If a student doesn't understand a math lesson, but then has to move on to an English lesson, then they will become behind. However, if the teacher had more time to efficiently teach a lesson and allow enough time to ensure every student  has a proper amount of time to ask questions and work on practice problems, then not as many students would fall behind. I remember when I was in middle school and I was struggling in English. It seemed like every time I began to understand, it was time to switch to a different subject. I believe it may be hard to change a school to this type of schedule, but I am interested if any schools do something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment