Sunday, October 2, 2011

Phonemic Awareness and Phonics

I really enjoyed reading both of the articles. In the article by Clark, it talked about coaching as a highly effective technique. I remember when I was in kindergarten and my teacher would make us sound words out. Still to this day if I have a problem pronouncing a word I will cover up the parts I don't know and say the part I do know out loud. I loved reading the article by Yopp and Yopp. It had such creative ideas for implementing phonemic awareness. All of the books paired with activities were so neat! I really like the idea of using play toys for the students to get interactive with at play time so they could retell the story. I think it is very important to encourage learning even during play time.
Activity

2 comments:

  1. I struggle with saying and pronouncing some words now as well. Slowing down and sounding them out will be a skill I will use the rest of my life. It's funny to think about in that we use this tool in our first stages of learning to read and still 20 some odd years later we continue to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that little flower idea.

    It's interesting how some skills really stick with us. Think about the power you have to influence your future students!

    ReplyDelete