Sunday, October 16, 2011

Comprehension

                                                    Do you Comprehend??

I really enjoyed reading about the many different ideas that can help students comprehend stories better. In the article by Gill, she mentions giving the students time to form predictions about the story before they begin to read. I think this is a great idea because it keeps the reader more aware and interested as the read the material. Another wonderful idea was the Mind Movies, mentioned in the Gregory article. It seems like such an interactive, fun and cheap way to really encourage the students to use their knowledge to make predictions about a story. I would love to incorporate this idea into my reading lessons!!


3 comments:

  1. I also really liked the mind movies idea. The name even sounds fun! I think this strategy is a great one to teach young children because it encourages them to include their own knowledge and experiences to construct comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comprehension is such an important aspect od reading. I love using predictions to build an interest in the lesson.

    http://www.readingrockets.org/article/3479/
    This is a great resource for teachers to use in many different capacities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved the idea of asking the children to make predictions before reading the text. It gets their brains going in the right directions and can help them comprehend the story better once they begin reading. Also loved the Mind Movies! So creative!

    ReplyDelete