Sunday, September 18, 2011

Reading Aloud to Children

The article stated that the single most important activity for building these understandings and skills essential for reading success appears to be reading aloud to children. It said that asking predictive and analytic questions in small group settings appears to affect children's vocabulary and comprehension of stories. I definitely agree with this idea. I have read aloud to the kids i babysit and sometimes I ask them questions about what we just read and they have no idea. After reading this article last week, I tried a new approach. Throughout the short story I asked them questions after about every other page. It helped keep them actively involved and it also kept their attention focused on the book. By the end of the book they were telling me things we had just read. Although the book was very short and a very easy read, I felt like they had enjoyed it more because by the end of it they could be the teacher. This approach we enjoyable for me too!

I found this video and thought it gave some great advice for reading to children. About 7 mins in she begins to talk about appropriate ways to ask children questions about the story.

Reading Aloud

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I love reading that you are relating the readings to your personal life! I got so excited when I read this. Also, thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always great to see how a change in approach can make such a huge difference. Asking questions to kids while reading makes them more engaged in the activity and gets them excited to see what happens next in the story. This approach really helps kids develop comprehension skills.

    ReplyDelete