Sunday, September 11, 2011

Emergent Literacy

I have always been afraid to teach kindergarten because I believed they would be the hardest and most frustrating age to teach. After reading the article by Bell & Jarvis, I felt a new sense of excitement that made me want to teach the kindergarten age. I found it so interesting how much knowledge these children actually have. I loved how the teacher incorporated every day experiences such as the McDonald's hamburger bag hanging under the letter M. I also thought it was a really good idea to use the students pictures as a way to learn the letters of the alphabet. I also loved the idea the book gave for crowning a child king or queen for the day. The activities associated provide for a fun learning experience for the students. I love how the book gave very simple, yet creative ways to build the foundation for success.(Classrooms That Work)

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I am the same way. I never wanted to teach the younger grades. Yet, the more I study emergent literacy the more I want to get back in the younger grades!

    ReplyDelete